Visitors

Elder & Sister Smith

Elder & Sister Smith
Elder Casper With Elder & Sister Smith (July 2015-July 2018)

Address

New York New York North Mission
700 White Plains Road Ste 315
Scarsdale, NY 10583


Follow Blog by Email. Enter your email below and once you get an email from blog asking you to confirm your email, then respond to confirm your email. You will get an email every time the blog is updated, about once a week.

Elder Domenick Casper

Elder Domenick Casper
Elder Casper With Elder & Sister Morgan (July 2012-July 2015)

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Thanksgiving and a Baptism

Hello everyone! This week has been super excited and thanksgiving was
super legit. There Is a lot to talk about so I'll get to that now. A
year ago was my first full day in The New York New York north mission,
I was in Harlem.

Thursday morning we got up and went to ihop with the zone leaders
because we can. It was a fun experience and it was weird think that it
was my second thanksgiving in the mission. We went to the church at
about 8:00 to help set up for this inner religious council of new
Rochelle. We were able to get all the chairs, and the tables and food
ready for it. The council happens every year on thanksgiving and
alternates at local church's and our bishop volunteered to host the
event this year. An episcopalian priest named Father Martin Smith from
Washington D.C talked about sacred gratitude. How we should always be
grateful and not just this time of the year, but how we should be
grateful and give thanks all the time. It was a super weird
experience, some of the sister missionaries walked around with baskets
to collect the offerings. I'm grateful that our church isn't run that
way because it's pretty awkward to see money in baskets. It was a good
program though! We did our studies afterwards and then had dinner at
the Flemings, and there was turkey, stuffing, green beans with BACON,
mashed potatoes and delicious home made rolls. You always start with a
big plate and then after you eat that plate, you then take it in
portions. I was full rather fast. There was Apple pomegranate
Martinelli's and elder Dutson and I drank a ton of that. Then the pie
came out, 4 different types of pie to be exact. Apple, pecan, cherry
and pumpkin cheesecake! We all started with two and I was seriously
having a hard time eating them. It didn't help that we were cracking
up laughing at what we were all saying. It to the point where we were
saying random things. Elder Leisham said Pumpkins are cow eggs, and
then Elder Gore looked at him with the most confused look.. We were
saying random things.. That's what Martinelli's does for you... Makes
you crazy hyper! That's what we did, by the time we got home we passed
out in a food coma.

Friday we had a huge meeting with president Smith with all the
district leaders and their companions. He told us that if any of the
district leaders struggled with anything in the white handbook, then
we should go talk to him because he will release us. But he also said
that we don't have to be perfect, we just need to strive to be
obedient. After that meeting we did the upstate deliveries and our
landlady Maria invited us over to her pizza shop to eat for an after
thanksgiving dinner. It's called Saccones pizza and it's super good.
We get free pizza and half the time she will bring some pasta out for
us which is to die for! I'll take you guys there one day. We looked up
one of our potentials and we told him who we were and he shut the door
immediately and walked away. That was our answer. We ended up calling
people for the rest of the night at the church until our zone leaders
met us there so we could split. Elder Burrell came to my area, this is
the 3rd time he's been on a split with me here in the Westchester
zone.

Saturday was way legit. We went to teach an investigator named Nathan,
elder Burrell refound him. When we walked in he was taking a smoking
break in his house so for a good 5 minutes we were breathing in smoke
and talking to him. He is a little slower at learning but he wants to
know the truth. At one point he had a bap date. It was a super
spiritual lesson and we answered questions he had and offered a simple
powerful testimony. Then we went to go see Bob and we read Alma 40 and
helped him understand the spirit world and the resurrection. Elder
Burrell and I felt super good about that lesson. We looked up a ton of
other people and no one was home. We went to a baptism of this lady
named Gladys Amarilla who was found by Elder Burrell and I. On our
last split we found her and elder Burrell taught her the entire
restoration I Spanish. Yeah she got baptized! It was a way spiritual
baptism and I'm so grateful that the spirit guided us to her so that
she could accept the truth and be baptized. If we didn't tract that
night in September then she wouldn't of been found then and wouldn't
have gotten baptized. It's such a testimony builder to me and now I
know that I was sent in this area to help bring her back to our
Heavenly Father.

Sunday we had a wonderful time at church, none of our investigators
came  but we still learned a lot about tithing and how we can see
blessings as we pay our tithing and sacrifice our money. The lord says
"prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open
you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there
shall not be room enough to receive it." And I love that scripture. He
tells us to test him and he will give us so many blessings that we
won't have room to receive them all. Anyways we had a dinner with the
Jensons but we got stuck in traffic for more than 30 minutes because
there was a terrible crash. 3 lanes of traffic merged into 1 so we
were 40 minutes late to our appointment with them. But they love the
missionaries. We got some marriage advice from sister Jenson. It's a
lot of good advice for the future, I'll be able to implement that in
my life in the future.

Monday we had a cool district meeting about asking inspired questions
and we were able to ask inspired questions later on with Bob. We got
to fill our orders but we were supposed to have a lesson in Yonkers
with the elders over there who are passing off this guy who is solid
and has a baptismal date already! That lesson fell through but I was
so excited to teach him. I got my flu shot, we dropped off some
packages that sister smith wanted us to drop off for her. We then went
and helped with some service at this lady's house in our ward. We just
carried big heavy things down the stairs and out in the trash. It took
20 minutes for us to do that for her, then we headed to smashburger
because Bishop was feeding us there. The burgers are pretty good! I
like In-N-Out better though haha. We had a super good time with them!
Elder Dutson and I froze our hands off sticking them out the window as
we drove, just 1 hand of course because I was driving. Anyways it was
a lot fun!

Tuesday we were supposed to deliver mail with our van but the APs
called us and told us they need our van and we can drive their truck.
We can't deliver mail in their truck so we got the big van and drove
that on down to the city to deliver the mail. That was fun, one thing
I've realized is that I can cut off anyone with that huge of a van. No
one dare try to cut me off either. It was fun and we always say the
most random things.. But it's always fun. We have a problem with mice
in our apartment.. We have so much bait out and they are eating those
things like they are candy. I was standing in our study room and then
I hear the bait being moved, I go to look at the bait and I see a
little mouse run behind a chair and it's gone. We spent some time on
that because we need to live in a clean environment. Stupid mice. We
taught our 12 year old investigator.. It's hard to teach him because
he has so many distractions. He doesn't focus well but we talked a lot
about prayer and about God. It was a very good discussion. It's
getting colder here but it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

On Sunday the church released a new Christmas Video, it's called A
Savior is Born! You can view it at christmas.mormon.org
Seriously spend the time to go check out the website and video. The
spirit hits so strong and I know that Jesus Christ suffered for all my
pains and trails that I go through. I know that through him I can be
cleansed of all sins and all guilt. I know Jesus Christ lives. I love
you all! Have a great week!

1. All of us at IHOP
2. Elder Dutson and I, the banana completes the photo.
3. Elder Burrell, Gladys and I! I can't believe she is baptized!

Elder Casper











No comments:

Post a Comment